When an Insured is diagnosed with a serious medical problem, he/she will try to find the treatment plan that will bring him/her closest to a (cutting edge) cure. Obtaining a Medical Second Opinion from MediGuide is logical step. Why?
Did you know that the original diagnosis in the U.S. can be wrong between 1% and 18% of the time? In Asia the error rate for a diagnosis is higher, ranging between 3% and 24%. These error rates vary based upon the particular disease, the geographic location of the insured, and the stage of development of the medical infrastructure in that location.
During the Medical Second Opinion process, we quickly tell the Insured the names of the three best hospitals in the World on our list of World Leading Medical Centers (WLMC) which are renowned for specializing in the Insured’s precise disease. We explain to the Insured why each of these three hospitals is so highly regarded for its knowledge of the Insured’s particular medical condition.
As found by a Harvard study, 90% of the time, Harvard’s scientists changed or enhanced the treatment the patient was originally told to follow. This is a staggering fact, and this is why MediGuide says that we put the Insured “Closest to the Cure”. The secret is that the WLMC’s attract the most research dollars. Furthermore, as opposed to having a single doctor review the medical file, MediGuide’s hospitals employ the “Consultative Team” approach. This approach joins together a number of different specialists at the WLMC, each of whom brings separate specializations to the review of a single patient.
Many of our members have asked us, after they received a treatment plan that was very different from their original treatment plan – whether they can go for treatment to our WLMCs often situated overseas. Until the creation of the LifeLink product, we were able to organize admittance for our members, but most of the time had to inform them that their local insurance plan excluded overseas treatment, and therefore the members would have to pay for the treatment themselves.
LifeLink has integrated the peace of mind provided by MediGuide Medical Second Opinion, into an insurance concept that provides cover for medical expenses, as well as a vast area of services that facilitates treatment in a foreign environment. The Medical Second Opinion process is pivotal in the process as it will opine on the diagnosis and provide a treatment recommendation.
LifeLink will provide cover for a selected number of conditions, all life threatening situations that can be summarized in the six treatments listed below (*):
- Cancer treatment this means all treatments of a malignant tumor that is not being encapsulated, i.e. all cancers diagnosed to be stage II, III or IV.
- Neurosurgery: surgery that involves the nervous system: brain, spinal cord or peripheral nerves.
- Coronary Artery By-Pass Surgery: includes open heart surgery, in order to restore normal blood supply to the heart. LifeLink will cover treatments that correct at least 2 coronary arteries.
- Heart Valve Replacement meaning a surgical procedure during which surgeons remove a malfunctioning valve from the heart and substitute it with a normal functioning valve.
- Living Organ Donor Transplant includes the transplant of a single kidney, pulmonary lobe (lung), a segment of liver or a portion of pancreas. The Insured’s organ is replaced with another of the same kind, donated by a compatible living donor.
- Bone Marrow Transplant means the transplant of bone marrow, originating from either the Insured or donated by a living donor.
(*) insurance policy wording may vary from country to country.
In order to assist the Insured with the process of getting ready for treatment overseas, MediGuide will make the following services available to the Insured:
- MediGuide will organize admittance to the WLMC on the shortest possible notice.
- Travel Arrangements: the Insured can travel to the WLMC in Business Class. MediGuide’s local service center will make the travel arrangements which include Air, Land or Water transportation in Business Class (when available). LifeLink pays for the travel and accommodation expenses of one companion (a sublimit may apply). In this time of great distress, the Insured will have a loved-one by his/her side.
- Upon arrival, the insured will be picked up at the airport and escorted to the WLMC and/or hotel where the companion will reside.
- During the stay abroad, the Insured will be given access to a translation service. It is important that the insured can express himself in his mother tongue. This service is provided for by medically skilled interpreters. This service can be accessed 24/7 and will facilitate the meetings with the medical teams for instance. A dedicated telephone number will be given to the Insured prior to his/her trip.
- Repatriation of the mortal remains: In the event of Death of the Insured Person, MediGuide will facilitate the repatriation of his/her mortal remains to the Country of Residence or will organize the funeral or cremation if the body is buried or cremated at the place of Death.
The entire process is cashless for the insured; all expenses are covered by the LifeLink program with the exception of out of pocket expenses abroad (subject to any sub-limits that may be applied by the local insurer.).
To summarize, the benefits for the Insured are clear: the Insured will obtain a Medical Second Opinion from selected World Leading Medical Centers. Furthermore, they can purchase up to One Million Dollars (US) insurance limit should Policy Holder wish to pursue the recommended medical treatment performed by the World Leading Medical Center that rendered Medical Second Opinion.
This new insurance concept will soon go live in three markets in Asia and the Middle East, and many more are in preparation stage of being launched in the near future.
In case you are interested please email email@example.com or call us at +1 302 425 5900 or +32 12 67 13 54.